Free Translating Services for International Students in Australia

Did you know you can get free translating services provided by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) with your Australian international student visa?

The Free Translating Service is funded by DHA and delivered by The Migration Translators, which is an Australian translation agency specialising in NAATI translations.

You have two (2) years from the date of your visa grant to access the service, now you are probably wondering what documents you could get translated for free, you cannot get the same document translated twice; well here is a list:

  • Academic transcripts (see note below)
  • Birth certificates
  • Business documents
  • Change of name certificates
  • Civil partnership certificates
  • Custody documents
  • Death certificates
  • Divorce documents
  • Driver licenses (see note below)
  • Education documents
  • Employment documents
  • Family registers
  • Household registration documents
  • Identity documents
  • Marriage certificates
  • Medical documents
  • Occupational licenses
  • Police clearance certificates
  • Religious documents
  • Vaccination documents

Note: An academic transcript is a document that records the subject name and the mark awarded. Documents that include lengthy course descriptions or comments on student performance are not accepted as academic transcripts. University syllabi or similar documents are also not accepted for translation.

International driver licenses are NOT accepted for free translation. The license must be a proper national driver license of any one country.

To get your documents translated you need to complete an application form; in order to complete the application form, you have to upload the following files:

  • Your passport or ImmiCard;
  • Your visa grant notice or VEVO entitlement check;
  • The documents you need translated.

An international student can only get up to 10 (ten) documents translated, and once you have lodged your application, you will receive an instant acknowledgement email with your application number. Your application will then be assessed against the eligibility criteria within one to two business days, and you will be notified by email of the outcome, after it is approved it will take up to 30 days to be finalized and for you to get your documents translated.

If you want to use this service and get your documents translated then head to and start your application!

Do you want more?

If you want to translate your documents and certify them with NAATI, and you also want to study English, take a technical, vocational, undergraduate, bachelor, master or doctorate course in Australia or New Zealand, register in Sofiri and choose an education expert to receive counselling, Help with your application and even assistance with a student visa. You will get guidance throughout your journey and answers to your questions every step of the way.

And the best of all? Using Sofiri is completely free. If you accept an offer at a university or college, you will pay the same fees as if you were going directly to a university.

You can start using Sofiri right now by clicking on the following button:

To coordinate the translation with DHA click this button:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.